Monday, June 13, 2011

A Word from the Artist...

I am an artist who has been through more than I care to think about, but I believe it has shaped me into the kind of person I am today, and also the artist I have become. My artwork has changed over the years, and I have done work I swore I would never do. Needless to say, I no longer judge what is considered good or bad art. Art is incredibly subjective. 

This blog was created to showcase my artwork. Some of you may remember that I used to have a website, but due to circumstances beyond my control I had to close it down. That was a hard day for me, but life continues and I have a found that it is all good in the long run. My husband's bout with cancer and chemotherapy sapped not only our money but it also sapped me of my energy, focus, and motivation. I couldn't concentrate on keeping up a website at that time anyway, and my time is still considerably limited, so this blog is the best way to go. It is actually a relief. :)

You may notice that the only piece that has my full name (April A. Meyette Russell) is my latest piece - "The Catalyst." Before that I only used my maiden name as I had work previous to getting married and so I just kept the name going for my art. After my husband's cancer, I added it to my art name. His support and encouragement is why I continue with my art. During the first half of the cancer nightmare I stopped working on my art and it was he who encouraged me to continue. He's a huge part of my life and I love him dearly. To not sign his last name with mine on my artwork any longer would go against my very being. I simply can't do it any more. 

So here is a small sample of my work. If you care to contact me in regards to buying a print, asking about commission work, or purchasing an original piece, please email me at aprilarussell@gmail.com


Artist's Statement:
My passion is capturing the essence of life around me in the form of drawing and painting. Artwork is my form of communication. It is how I convey the messages I want to speak. I relay my thoughts, my convictions, my questions, my struggles, my hopes, my fears, my emotions through my art. This is where my inspiration derives from. Art carries a life of it's own for me. It is in every fiber of my being and I can not imagine my life without a paintbrush or pencil in my hand. My goal is for the viewer to see the soul of my work, to "hear" the message it is speaking, and to be touched by the "words" only the heart can understand. This is to experience art.

1 comment:

  1. Hi April,
    I was trying to reach you to see if you'd be interested in being part of an upcoming art show in Flint, MI. I was not able to find your contact information. You can contact me at by calling me at 810.238.8669. Thank you.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete