Monday, June 13, 2011

Abstract Work

My abstract work will range from large to small in differing mediums. Sometimes I like to work in just watercolor or oil, but most of the time I prefer to mix it all up in a mixed-media piece, building up a lot of texture and detail. Abstract for me is a break from the intense intricate drawings, a way to explore my thoughts on man's futile efforts to control the world around us by creating materials that are "stronger and better", yet no matter how grand the material is, it will always succumb to power of God and nature, going back to the earth as dust.

Title: "Chasm"
Medium: Mixed Media
Size: 6 x 9 inches
Finished: February 19, 2010

This piece was created while going through the struggles of my husband having cancer and undergoing chemotherapy. There's watercolor, colored pencil, ink, acrylic, and then at the very end I threw on some of the coffee I was drinking.

________________________________________________________________________


Title: "Resolute"
Medium: watercolor
Size: 6 x 9 inches
Finished: February 25, 2010 

Another piece I did while my husband was undergoing chemotherapy.

______________________________________________________________________


Title: "Rift"
Medium: Acrylic and Oil paint
Size: 4x5 inches
Finished: February 18, 2010
Yet another during the trying time with chemotherapy...


_______________________________________________________________________



And another during that time..... "Suspended" has a whole hodgepodge of fun things in it, and of course I had to add some coffee too! :D

Title: Suspended
Medium: Mixed Media
Size: 6 x 9 inches
Finished: 1/27/2010

_________________________________________________________________________

Title: Untitled
Medium: Mixed media
Size: 12x18 inches
Finished: 1/15/2010

This one was the first that I did during the time my husband was battling cancer and chemotherapy. The nightmare began in August and from August until this time (January) I hadn't been able to create anything. This one was started because I was full of nervous energy and I had to do something. This was the result and was the beginning of a slough of small paintings, which are posted above.

_______________________________________________________________________


Title: Disillusioned
Size: 12 x 24 inches
Medium: mixed media
Finished: June 11, 2009
This one is full of texture. At first I didn't like it but now it has become a favorite. :)

________________________________________________________________________


I am exploring the ideas of man-made industrial materials succumbing to the natural laws of God and nature, as well as the dichotomy of realism and abstract elements. Is it abstract? Is it realism? Is it alive? Is it dying? Only the viewer can determine that for themselves, and I won't take that experience away from them. It is what it is for them. 

This painting has a lot of questions in it for me. A lot of extremes, symbolic meaning, texture, feeling.....and the questions that these things stir within me. It is a searching.....

Title: "Reclaimed"
Medium: Acrylic and Oil paints
Size: 24x30 inches

 
This painting was on exhibition in the Visual Arts Center National Art Exhibit 2008 in Punta Gorda, FL in February and March.

___________________________________________________________________________


 

Title: "Redemption"
Medium: Mixed media (graphite, watercolor, and coffee)
Size: 6.25 x 10.25 inches

Finished: 10/2007

____________________________________________________________________________




I used graphite, watercolor, and coffee.

Title: "Broken"
Medium: mixed media
Size: 6.5 x 10.5 inches

2007

_________________________________________________________________________




Title: "Authentic Sacrifice"
Medium: mixed media (watercolor and coffee)
Size: 3.5 x 2.5 inches

This picture is the size of the actual piece.

__________________________________________________________________________




The top black line is not angled. Unfortunately my camera has distorted that. It is actually perpendicular and straight.

Title: "Addiction"
Size: 6 x 13.5 inches
Medium: Mixed Media 

2007

__________________________________________________________________________




Title: "Crumbling - A Study in Textures"
Medium: mixed media (acrylic and oil paint)
Size: 5 x 7 inches

2007 

No comments:

Post a Comment