Monday, June 13, 2011

Representational Paintings

This is just a small sample of my representational paintings. While I am very skilled at painting representational work in many form of media and style, I now prefer to paint in abstract form.

Here is a rare self-portrait. I am not fond of doing self-portraits, and I highly doubt I'll do many more. I just don't like staring at myself in a mirror for so long.
Done 8/2006
"Self-Portrait" is done in oil on canvas and is 8x10 inches.

______________________________________________________________________



This is my rendering of John Singer Sargent's oil painting Madame X. John Singer Sargent is one of my favorite artists of all time. He was a master painter of portraits and is most known for the society portraits that he did. He considered his painting "Madame X" to be his very best, even though the portrait created a great scandel at the time. I painted this in watercolor.
"My Rendition of Sargent's Madame X" is 3.5x2.5 inches. It is in my personal collection.

____________________________________________________________________________


While working hard and steadily on a very large detailed graphite drawing, it can become overwhelming, and a short break is needed to loosen up. A change in medium can be just the trick to relax and rejuvenate me, helping me refocus back on the highly detailed work at hand. That's how this painting came to be. I took 2 days off to paint this, and it was just the thing I needed. I found a reference photo for the girl and started painting. Many thanks to the model.
Done in 2006.
"Reading" is oil paint of canvas. It is 8x10 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment